4 Things to Do When You Get Stuck in Your Novel





Disclaimer: This list contains nothing that includes bodily harm. Banging your head on the keyboard unfortunately does not make coherent words appear. It is a fact. 






1. Go outside.

Get away from your computer or notebook and go outside. There is something about being in God's creation that clears your mind. It's a whole lot easier to think straighter after you've breathed in some fresh air.



2. Talk about it with someone.

A different perspective can be extremely helpful. That person doesn't have to be a critique partner or even a writer. 



3. Do something creative. (other than write)

We all have something creative that we enjoy doing other than writing. So do something else that requires creativity. Then come back to your novel with a fresh view. 



4. Step away.

We may not like it, but sometimes we need to take a break for a day or two. You are not doing yourself or your novel a favor by writing scenes that you hate. Sometimes you do have to "push through" and write scenes you don't like, but not all the time.


I hope you found this post helpful. What are some things that you do when you get stuck in writing your novel? I am going to be posting once a week. I am going to start doing more writing related posts.

Until next time,
Jonathan

Comments

  1. Banging your head on the keyboard unfortunately does not make coherent words appear <-- Yep. I've tried that. Didn't work xD

    I love this post, Jonathan! Everything you listed here is so helpful. I love #1 the most. Getting out in nature makes me realize how small my problems are and how big God is, and if He can keep all this in order, He'll definitely be able to help me write a book!

    I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts :D

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audrey!
      Going outside always helps me realize that my problems aren't that big.

      Delete
  2. ALL OF THIS IS SO TRUE. I've used each of these methods (including banging my head on the computer keyboard). My favorite one is talking with someone else. Multiple times I've gotten a whole new outlook on my books characters or plot lines thanks to conversations with friends or family. Very helpful indeed. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Talking to people is really helpful. A lot of the time they point out seemingly simple things. Then you're left asking yourself "how did I miss that?"
      Thanks for commenting, Rebekah!

      Delete
  3. These were great! Stepping away, either just for a couple hours or for several days, is usually what I do when the words just.won't.come. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faith!
      I agree. Stepping away is what we need to do sometimes.

      Delete
  4. What about guzzling down a huge mug of coffee? 😉 Great post, Jonathan. I would have to say that going outside for a breather is my favorite. (and coffee. Gotta have my coffee.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drinking coffee is good, but it doesn't usually help me when I'm stuck.
      Thank you for commenting, Addyson!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Highlighting March.

Infinity Dreams Award

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Review!!!